Monday, November 10, 2014

Runaway pig

This past weekend, I attended the Western PA SCBWI (Society for Children's Book Writers and Illustrators) conference. The highlight for me was getting a one-on-one portfolio review from Amy Cherrix, editorial assistant at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Books for Young Readers.

She helped me see what my strengths are, but also challenged me to take some risks and try stuff outside my comfort zone. For example, she suggested that I start sharing some sketches so editors and art directors can get more insight into my process. I know I tend to equate my "best" work with "work that took me an agonizing amount of time and effort to complete," so it's difficult for me to see value in the simple and easy, but I'm trying.

That said, here's a little sketch of a piglet running away from home:

No comments:

Post a Comment